Children’s Oncology Services, Inc. believes that a diagnosis of cancer should not prevent a child from experiencing the simple joys of childhood. Through our One Step programs, we offer camp experiences and other programs throughout the year that allow children with cancer to just be kids. Our programs offer fun, friendship and support in a safe and nurturing environment.
Through the magic of childhood experiences, we help kids diagnosed with cancer reclaim their lives. Our programs offer participants:
- diversion from their illness
- opportunities for success and control
- friendship and unconditional acceptance from those who understand
- information, answers and validation
- reasons to adopt a positive, “fighting” attitude
- something to look forward to
- memories that comfort when times are hard
- hope for the future
Children’s Oncology Services, Inc. began through the hard work of dedicated volunteers, and continues to be volunteer-driven as we have the support of more than 400 volunteers (including many former campers). In fact, approximately 40% of camp counselors are former campers themselves. Individuals from all professions and backgrounds volunteer in our programs. Many local nurses, doctors, research staff and social workers volunteer from organizations including Lurie’s Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and Milwaukee.